nanog mailing list archives

Re: New Denial of Service Attack on Panix

From: dvv () sprint net (Dima Volodin)
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 14:33:47 -0400 (EDT)

But of course. The problem is that SYN_RCVD is a transient state in the
TCP automaton, and it requires some resources allocation. The life
might have been a little bit different if servers weren't forced
to track this state. Something like a signed ticket accompanying the
second SYN and the following ACK.

Dima

Paul Ferguson writes:

I agree completely, but neither one is a panacea.

- paul