nanog mailing list archives

Re: Provider credibility - does it matter? was Re: Inter-provider relations

From: Jim Dixon <jdd () vbc net>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 23:08:27 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, Jeremy Porter wrote:

As I said, my main point was that the Economist's model was seriously
flawed.
Of course, as long as there are more users of the Internet located
in the US, and more content sites in the US, and the interesting
applications located in the US, there will be a greater value
to the non-us IPs to drop lines in, and as our Asian friends have
pointed out it is often cheaper to drop lines to the West coast
of the US than to drop inter-asia links.

This is just another seriously flawed model.

If companies like Global Sprintlink, Cable and Wireless, etc,
are going into non-US peering locations, then it is already
changing.

Yes it is already changing.  But as far as I can see, Global
SprintLink represents the old US-centric model: GSL is the
international arm of SprintLink and essentially sells bandwidth
into the States.  C&W is setting itself up as a global backbone
provider.

           However compared to the amount of Internet bandwidth
in the US, compared to elsewhere, I seriously doubt that there
is any kind of siginifcant subisidy to US users.

I know it's hard to think about these things, but a T1 across the
Atlantic costs us 235 times as much as a T1 to MAE West.  Comparing
Mbps is a joke.

(Just because it costs non-US based ISPs more to play the
fully connected game, doesn't mean there is a signficant cost
difference, just a market imbalance.

Yes 235:1 is a bit of a market imbalance; some might say that it
is a significant cost difference.

)

--
Jim Dixon              VBCnet GB Ltd +44 117 929 1316  fax +44 117 927 2015
http://www.uk.vbc.net  VBCnet West   +1  408 971 2682  fax +1  408 971 2684