nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Basic BGP configuration problem"

From: Henry Kilmer <hank () rem com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 15:37:31 -0400 (EDT)

Bradley Dunn writes:
The reason I thought it was funny was not because they were having
problems (all providers have problems), but because of the following:

(a) In the past various Sprint people have suggested multihoming to
different SprintLink POPs as a solution to their refusal to hear
specifics of their aggregates from peers. Well, with four POPs having
problems in the same day, perhaps a better term would be multi-screwed.

We are working on adjusting our multihoming policies such that
multihoming with Sprint will be a viable solution for customers.

(b) Possible evidence for Metzger's cowboyism theory? Were these BGP
configs tested before they were implemented?

Yes.  And it wasn't the configs that were wrong.  It was a BGP related
Cisco bug.

(c) So much for the "clueless small ISPs" being the only ones unable to
config BGP. Let's face it, routing configuration in a complex and dynamic
internetwork is a challenging task, whether it is being performed by a
billion dollar telco or a $100,000 startup.

Noone is immune to bugs in code.

-Hank