nanog mailing list archives

Re: Policy Statement on Address Space Allocations

From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis () ans net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 16:40:47 -0500

In message <9601291837.AA01730 () ginger lcs mit edu>, Noel Chiappa writes:

We can also limit the amount of routing overhead by providing configured
AAB boundaries for a given multihomed site which enclose a path between the
primary and secondary providers. Since this will in some cases require
cooperation among multiple providers, as well as either i) massive amounts of
manual mechanical configuration bookkeeping, or ii) automated tools we don't
have yet, don't hold you breath for that one either.

      Noel

Noel,

You may not have to wait as long as you think.  The slides below were
presented at the most recent RPS WG meeting:

  ftp://ftp.ans.net/pub/papers/slides/rps/aggregation.ps
  ftp://ftp.ans.net/pub/papers/slides/rps/aggr-methods.ps

The idea is to provide a means to specify the aggregation boundary
within the IRR and provide the tools to transform that specification
into router configurations.  I'm not sure the slides are entirely
self explanitory, but I think they convey the general idea.

This work is progressing.  Gradually, but it is progressing.  ANS
should have working code to do this deployed by next IETF.  This code
will enable ANS to do much better aggregation that we now do
regardless as to whether other providers buy into the idea.  To
accomplish the type of multiprovider cooperation you refer to above,
it is a matter of getting someone else doing the same thing, or
something similar enough that we have someone to cooperate with.

Curtis