nanog mailing list archives

Re: ISP Domain Auction

From: "Craig A. Huegen" <c-huegen () quad quadrunner com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 19:15:38 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, mike wrote:

Shouldn't we here see how we get our act together, e.g. peering (why in
this community are there people not peering, putting up 'rules' etc, when
peering would just make everyone happy since the routing landscape is way
simpler when there are lots of direct links), and of course, the same
always: instead of creating unnecessary friction to put into the address
allocation mechanism a measure to satisfy building up ISP/NSP businesses.
I agree that there might some people need more restrictive routing, but
restrictions must always be implemented in a way not to create injustice
or even only extra problems.

Well, the prefix-filtering policies of the unnamed ISP you mention above
is definitely a problem.  However, I don't see it as a problem for me,
because most ISP's are sensible enough to route that kind of traffic.

I look at it as a problem for customers who use that unnamed ISP.  Those
customers should contact their providers and pressure them to get
alternative links (or, in the case they are a direct customer of this unnamed
ISP, change to another provider or obtain another link and become
multi-homed).

I think that right now, we shouldn't be too concerned with "CIDRize or
DIE!".  At this point, we should be helping other entities out--you're
not FORCING them to renumber by making their networks non-routable
within one organization--you're screwing your customers out of optimal
connectivity to any particular site.

The Internet has gotten too much away from the original purpose, to share
information.  It has gone to a vast commercial marketing symbol, where
most companies really don't care about other entities--"Why should we
help this group?  They're customers of ISP X!"

Now, if there's a sincere need to filter, say, because you still use
AGS+'s with CSC/3's and 16 MB of RAM and your poor 1988-age equipment
can't handle it, then fine...

/cah