nanog mailing list archives

Re: ISP Domain Auction

From: "Kent W. England" <kwe () 6SigmaNets com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 14:01:48 -0800

At 10:47 AM 2/12/96 +0100, Daniel Karrenberg wrote:

 > randy () psg com (Randy Bush) writes:
 >
 > My personal opinion is that the IANA should recommend that the InterNIC
 > simply unregister the names.
 >
 > randy

I second that, especially for the country names.

Daniel

If you read the fine print on the InterNIC application for changing
domain names, the InterNIC reserves the right to review the entire
application as a new application if the change requests a change
to the Organization information.

Therefore, a straightforward attempt to transfer a .COM domain name
to another entity results in a new application for that name. This
makes it smoother to do coordinated transfers, but if InterNIC
re-considers the transfer it makes the rights about what Sean said
he would bid in an earlier message. ($1)

By the way, domain names are not uniquely speculated. About two
years ago, a company widely circulated an offer to sell
1-800-INFO-HIWAY for about US$20,000. I passed.

--Kent