nanog mailing list archives

Re: Peering Policies and Route Servers

From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis () ans net>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 20:33:38 -0400

In message <199604301728.KAA02799 () victory InterNex Net>, Rob Gutierrez writes:

There is no possibility for blackholing packets.  Blackholing means
advertising a route and then not delivering the packet.

I'm afraid that I did run into a situation where the route was advertised
and the packet was blackholed.

I started to peer with AS-2882 at the PB NAP, and I accepted routes
from it for another ISP (no finger pointing today -- sorry).  Well, the
ISP didn't have the VC map config'd in their router, and that route
became preferred after a glitch somewhere in their network.  Well, since
the med's were the same in the routes we were sending to them, they
preferred the PB NAP route after their glitch.  Needless to say, not
a happy situation.  Then, of course, there was yet another ISP we were
waiting for their router to be config'd, etc.

This problem is inherent to misconfigured PVC based switched services
and third party routes, not router servers per se.  Similar stories
can be heard regarding the CIX SMDS that do not involve a router
server or on frame relay setups.

Curtis