nanog mailing list archives

Re: Peering Policies and Route Servers

From: salo () msc edu (Tim Salo)
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 11:34:26 -0500 (CDT)

To: NANOG <nanog () merit edu>
Subject: Re: Peering Policies and Route Servers
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 10:49:02 -0400
From: Enke Chen <enke () mci net>
      [...]
Regarding the RS (I have many friends there, and they have done many
good work), let me echo the fundamental issues that Steve Heimlich
has pointed out, would you rather have your peering policy enforced by
yourself or by a third party?  Would you rather develop a dependency
on a third party (which may not be there a few years down the road)
to deliver the critical service or depend on yourself?

This sounds like an argument for an NSP to build their own routers.

(Oh,I forgot, that has already been tried...)

More seriously, I would like to think that the analysis performed by
the NSPs is a bit more detailed.  Perhaps the challenges include:

o       the routing arbiter not having a long-term track record as a vendor
        against which to compare internal efforts, or as you mention
        an uncertain future;

o       the route servers don't save an NSP all that much work;

o       the NSPs haven't bothered to do the analysis; or

-tjs

-tjs