nanog mailing list archives

Re: Address "portability"

From: Paul Ferguson <pferguso () cisco com>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 1996 19:36:03 -0500

At 06:39 PM 4/5/96 -0500, Justin W. Newton wrote:

At 12:32 PM 4/5/96 -0800, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

The California PUC has approved local phone competition within California,
with the requirement the phone number portability (between carriers) be
fully implemented as soon as possible. Making your phone number stay the
same no matter whether you're a PacBell or MFS or TCI customer is exactly
the same problem as making IP addresses portable... just wait until ISPs
are regulated, and they get the same mandate.

Uhm, Cisco, you hear that?

Um, and pray tell, what exactly is cisco supposed to do about this?

I'll write my congresscritter if you write yours.  :-)

- paul