nanog mailing list archives

Re: ATM Utility

From: Pushpendra Mohta <pushp () CERF NET>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 1994 09:13:38 -0800 (PST)

Bob Doyle writes:

Also, please also do not confuse Vadim's individual opinion with the opinion
of Sprint.  Sprint also recognizes the cost-benefits of a fast packet service
versus point-to-point circuits.  One of the primary reasons we pursued an ATM
strategy in advance of many others was due to the cost-benefits in our
backbone...There are a litany of other reasons which I would be happy to
pontificate...Pushpendra, no criticism intended, but I would probably argue
that our stockholders do not consider the cost of additional network capacity
as "funny-money"....

Bob, I meant it in jest. It is easy for staff to lose sight of
that fact, just like my staff sometimes tends to forget about
the incremental cost of additional Internet access when coming up with
proposals for new services.

Recall that CERFnet is probably the only customer at this point of
Sprint ATM services that is using it to access the NAPs.

--pushpendra

Pushpendra Mohta              pushp () cerf net        +1 619 455 3908
Director of Engineering                             +1 800 876 2373
CERFNet