nanog mailing list archives

Re: this week's CIDR progress report

From: "Steven K. Widmayer" <skw>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 1994 15:07:35 -0400

From list-admin Fri Apr 22 18:19:27 1994

Got a list of routes which are not in the NSFnet table but some other places.
Spot that one incident that the aggregate is advertised to both routing
tables, but there are few specific routes within the aggregate has been
advertised to the NSFNET.  So in terms of connectivity, both can reach all the
specific routes destination, but the path would be different.  However, that
cause the difference in size of the routing table.  This is just the one I
happen to see but there could be more such cases.  This indicates
reason #1 in my previous message.  I also saw a lot of routes in the diff list
looks like testnets but not quite sure.  I  do not have time to do more poking
today, I will do it on Monday.

                                             --Jessica

I would agree that the difference in table size is most likely due to CIX
issues.  I used to see table size differences of a few hundred routes, which
I mostly attributed to the few days of lag time in getting new CIX routes
registered in the PRDB.

ANS-CIX (AS 1957) has a new policy for the past week or two which is
to stop automatically registering the CIX-only routes (routes known
to the CIX which are not registered by another AS 690 service provider)
in the PRDB.  I understand they are working out a new policy for getting
these CIX-only routes registed in the PRDB.  This could account for some
of the table size discrepency.

Also, as service providers register aggregates in the PRDB, AS 1957
component routes are removed, unless for policy purposes the service
provider requests and ANS agrees to leave the AS 1957 component networks
configured.  This could account for several hundred CIX-only component
routes that have recently disappeared from the AS 690 routing tables, but
which may still be announced to the CIX.

Also, there always seem to be a handful of routes (maybe about 20 ?) which
are known to the CIX but which are not registered in the PRDB because they
cannot be verified as having been assigned from address space delegated to
the InterNIC or RIPE.

  --Steve Widmayer