Metasploit mailing list archives

Meterpreter not exiting

From: Brian Seel <brian.seel () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 16:13:03 -0400

I have been doing some testing with Meterpreter recently (building an
extension), and I noticed that I ended up with a bunch of running
meterpreter payloads in the process list. I checked if I had any open
sessions, and I did not. I had been closing my sessions with the exit
command, so I looked at the code for that in the source/client. That simply
calls exit(0)... which seems like it would just exit the client of
meterpreter, but not the meterpreter server running remotely (which is what
I am seeing).

First off, am I doing something wrong? Second, is this behavior by design?