Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: my handler has been p0wned

From: Civ <framework () 8thdaytech com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 17:38:01 -0700

From the VT TOS.
"... When you submit a file to VirusTotal for scanning, we may store it
and share it with the anti-malware and security industry (normally the
companies that participate in VirusTotal receive the samples that their
engines do not detect and are catalogued as malware by at least one
other engine). The samples can be analysed by automatic tools and
security analysts to detect malicious code and to improve antivirus
engines. ..." http://www.virustotal.com/terms.html

An Av vendor could be examining your "unknown" submission, thus
responsible for a connection or two to your handler. I have observed
this in the past. Stay away from VT if you are concerned at all about
keeping your exe from being detected by AVs before deployment.

Submit the hash of your file instead.