Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: my handler has been p0wned ?

From: al1c3andb0b <al1c3andb0b () lavabit com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 17:30:59 +0100

On 03/16/2011 04:05 PM, c0lists wrote:
had you tried it(1), you would have seen that if you connect to your
IP/port the handler would attempt to send you the stage too. Add that
you are listening on a commonly scanned port this isnt too surprising.

1.http://www.room362.com/blog/2010/10/1/acceptable-questions-checklist.html

You're right, a simple netcat connect triggers the staging step. And I hadn't tried it. Thanks

Actually, the scan option touched me, but lightly as I thought there should be a protocol between the stager and the handler, involving a custom scanner to fingerprint the MSF handler and an exploit at hand to abuse it, which is IMHO not the kind of tools used by either script kiddies nor large criminal organizations who perform untargeted scans. But obviously, keeping the stager shorter was preferred, at the price of being revealed through a simple connect scan.

At least I'm right on my last point: the Internet is continuously scanned for vulnerable hosts at a terrible pace.

Regards.