Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: LNK Exploit Export

From: Florian Roth <Neo.X () web de>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 18:39:47 +0200

Hey, thanks,

I did the following but struggled because it did not work as I
expected.

I changed the contents of the LNK to the name of my DLL.

But that didn't do the trick.
I had to use the following string with a trailing space and double
point.

00000080  00 00 00 6a 00 00 00 00  00 00 20 00 3a 00 43 00  |...j...... .:.C.|
00000090  3a 00 5c 00 42 00 4e 00  57 00 45 00 6a 00 42 00  |:.\.B.N.W.E.j.B.|
000000a0  63 00 66 00 49 00 71 00  2e 00 64 00 6c 00 6c 00  |c.f.I.q...d.l.l.|
000000b0  00 00                                             |..|
000000b2

The tricky thing is, that changing this does not seem to make it work. I
had to rename the link file to "linkfile.lnk_" in command line and back
in EXPLORER to invoke the process defined in my DLL (calc.exe).

I suppose that the renaming causes a cache to be renewed and EXPLORER to
check the symbol of the link again. Without that it won't envoke the
exploit coded in the DLL in my testing environment.

Additional information:
A second way to invoke the exploiting was to use the windows search and
search for a portion of the LNK file name. The listing of the modified
LNK file in the search results lead also to an execution.

Every method worked only once per session. I had to log off and login
again to make it work another time.

Hope that helped someone.
That way I am able to generate a DLL with a special payload and ship it
with my prepared LNK file.

Thanks