Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: patchup prefix

From: HD Moore <hdm () metasploit com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 20:31:13 -0600

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 20:41 -0500, Jeffs wrote:
what does the "patchup" prefix mean?  Or does it mean it was created by
a different author from the "original" payload modules?

i.e., : windows/patchupmeterpreter/reverse_tcp

There are two ways that metasploit does in-memory DLL injection, the
original method, developed by skape and jt, is what we used exclusively
until 2008 or so. Stephen Fewer created a new method of doing DLL
injection that had a number of advantages and we gradually swapped the
old method for his method, but we left the old method in the tree. The
"patchup" prefix refers to the skape/jt injection method while the
"defaults" are now reflective.

-HD