Metasploit mailing list archives

Is the Metasploit book still up-to-date?

From: bcg at struxural.com (Ben Greenfield)
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 16:49:13 -0400

I'm looking for a really thorough guide to the framework.  I'm not a
total newb user, as I would say I probably use metasploit 5 to 6 times
a week at my job, I read the mailing list, and a couple of blogs (Dark
Operator's is soooo interesting), and try to look at the code to
understand it better.

All that said, I think I'm just a novice user.  I barely know how to
use msfencode or msfpayload, and I'd say that 99.99% of my time is
spent in msfconsole.

I'm looking for a book / guide / documentation / recommendation /
whatever to help me get out of the novice stage and into the
intermediate stage so I can start using the frameworks potential more.

I know that Amazon lists a book (Metasploit Toolkit for Penetration
Testing, Exploit Development, and Vulnerability Research (Paperback),
but it's from 2007.  Has anyone read the book?  Would you recommend
it, or do you recommend the official documentation instead?

I'm also curious if people knew Ruby before picking up Metasploit.  Do
you think I'm better server with a book on Ruby and the Metasploit
documentation?  I know some Ruby, but I'm not so comfortable that it's
the language I go to if I need to do something quickly.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for the hard work that everyone puts
into the framework,