Metasploit mailing list archives

question on Apple Quicktime RTSP bind/attach process

From: grutz at jingojango.net (Kurt Grutzmacher)
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 11:23:02 -0600

You should learn more about buffer overflows before you get too deep
into any code. There are a ton of resources on the web that a quick
google will direct you towards.

But to quickly answer your question, the payload shellcode provides the
instructions to open a listener socket on port 4444 on the victim's
machine that you connect to with netcat. It's assembly code because the
overflow allowed us to execute it.

The script you linked to just uses the shellcode generated by metasploit.
It doesn't integrate within the framework. An exploit has been written
and is available in the current svn trunk.