Metasploit mailing list archives

adding new exploit modules to v.2.3

From: mmiller at hick.org (mmiller at hick.org)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:22:03 -0600

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 10:02:24AM -0500, James E. Just wrote:
We seem to have a problem adding new exploit modules to v. 2.3 under Win 2K
Pro SP3.

Any thoughts on how to fix this in Win 2K.

I tried to reproduce this on Windows 2000 SP0 and wasn't able to get it
to reproduce.  What I did was simply copy and rename one of the exploits
to test_exploit.pm and changed the package name inside the .pm to
test_exploit.  I then re-ran msfconsole and it correctly detected the
new exploit module and I was able to use it as expected.

The only things that I can think of off the top of my head that might
lead to this problem are:

1) Permissions - Perhaps the exploit module file cannot be read from?
2) Syntax errors - Though this sounds unlikely considering your success
on Windows XP with what I assume is the same file, it might be possible
that your exploit module has syntax errors which are causing it to not
be loaded.

Enabling more verbose debug logging might provide more information on
the problem:

1) Run msfconsole and do 'setg DebugLevel 3' followed by 'save'.
2) Exit msfconsole and re-run it.  Check to see if your exploit module is
included in the list of exploit modules that it parsed.

After you're finished use 'unsetg DebugLevel' / 'save' to eliminate the
debug messages.