Metasploit mailing list archives

Bug Payload.

From: sysmin770 at yahoo.com (Sysmin Sys73m47ic)
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 06:33:06 -0700 (PDT)

Lots of PCs have a microphone, one way or
another.

Lots of PCs have a microphone port on the
soundcard but there is usually nothing attached to it
in the corporate world. This would be more common in
the home environment where someone may do voice chat
online or something of that nature.

Streaming audio from the target host would be a
serious security compromise in many situations, e.g.
I telephone an estate agent, make an offer on the
property, and then his PC eavesdrops on his
telephone conversation with the vendor.

It's like a ready-placed bug exists in every office.
 And it is a
payload that would concern non-tetechiesore than
their PC being bust and
a re-install required.

It sounds more like a trojan than a pen-testing tool.
I could be wrong, but I don't think it was the intent
of the authors to create a permanent backdoor on a
system.  I am sure there are a lot of interesting
things that could be done with netcat that may yield a
lot more information than listening to audio. I know
that a lot of other pen-testers who test corporate
networks would shy away from tools that would leave a
backdoor on a system.

In other news, I have to go get ready, hurricane
Charley is coming.

=====
-SySmin Sys73m47ic
Development Team {Fu-King Linux}