Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Scientific publishing is a rip-off. We fund the research – it should be free | George Monbiot | Opinion | The Guardian

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2018 04:52:00 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <jonathan.s.shapiro () gmail com>
Date: September 15, 2018 at 2:56:49 AM GMT+9
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Scientific publishing is a rip-off. We fund the research – it should be free | George Monbiot |
Opinion | The Guardian

Some comments on all this:

1. Peer review is a sacred cow among academics and industrial researchers principally because publication quality is
a key metric for hiring and promotion. Peer review is often, but not universally, associated with paid journals. Good
studies have been done comparing paid and non-paid journal article quality. There is some evidence suggesting that
the paid journals are not as good, even though they tend to have better reputations. There are, or course, garbage
journals in both the paid and non-paid spheres.

There is overwhelming evidence that peer review - even blind peer review - exhibits gross negative bias against women
researchers and also against research that does not affirm the prevailing orthodoxy of the relevant research
community.

Perhaps surprisingly, there is research suggesting that among high-reputation publications, following an initial
filter for "obviously does not meet criteria", random selection yields a better quality journal or conference
proceeding than peer review. Review and shepherding remain useful to improve the quality of the selected papers, but
not as a means of selection. As I recall, the research comparing peer review to random selection appeared in a peer
reviewed publication; make of that what you will.

In short: the entire pyramid scheme that is research review and ranking is in need of re-thinking. The only parties
winning under the current system are the suppliers of overhead. What we need is a system for assessing the reputation
of a journal that is principally based on the quality of the content rather than to outdated processes and
conformance to gender and orthodoxy expectations.

I have no actionable thoughts on how to achieve that.

2. I've recently had a very negative interaction with IEEE in which a law firm acting on behalf of IEEE issued an
unlawful take-down of one of my publications on ResearchGate. One of the requirements of a take-down is a legally
binding affirmation that you own the document. If you don't, the affirmation is perjury, and the law provides that
you are subject to civil action. IEEE used a foreign law firm to do the take-downs, which places civil remedy
effectively out of reach to most authors. ResearchGate is not an American company, so it made sense for IEEE to
retain a law firm in the same country as ResearchGate. It is possible they did not give thought to how this defeated
any hope of effective civil remedy, but it does not seem likely to me that the were unaware that this structure
evades the statutory provisions for accountability by making them cost-prohibitive to the authors. Competent counsel
would have pointed it out to them.

Because I have always been concerned about paywalling, I have made it a practice during my career to retain rights to
my publications. When challenged to produce documentation of their alleged ownership of my works, IEEE failed to do
so. If they can't produce that documentation - or worse, in this case, never had it - they are in the very awkward
position of having issued an unlawful take-down notice, which gives me a cause of civil action against them should I
choose to pursue it. Adding insult to injury in this matter, IEEE did not take any remedial steps following their
error, leaving it to me to re-supply the document to ResearchGate that they forced ResearchGate to delete. My time
and inconvenience in doing that can only be recovered through a civil suit.

IEEE serves no purpose if its activities do not advance scientific and engineering research and technical progress.
Paywalling very clearly impedes such progress while simultaneously raising both the risk and the expense of research
and engineering.

The next time you are notified about a document take-down related to an IEEE publication, send a note off to IEEE
demanding that they produce proof of assignment. Most of the time it will turn out they can't. If that's true,
consider filing a copyright lawsuit against them for using your document without permission. There is no such thing
as innocent infringement in matters of copyright, the penalties are steep, and it is long past time that the authors
started using the rules and laws available to us to establish a more balanced model of rights in our works. Having
filed, settle the matter by requiring IEEE to cover your legal costs, restore all rights in your works, whether or
not documented, to the authors, and enter into an agreement to cease and desist in take-downs against all authors.
While you're about it, send them a revocation of your assignment grant citing the absence of consideration as
providing a basis for revocation at any time.

I believe that DMCA needs to be updated with a substantial minimum statutory penalty for false take-down, such that
the civil exposure is the greater of the statutory harm or the actual harm and the cost of civil action as a means of
enforcement becomes justified in all cases. Right now, there is no incentive for the party issuing a take-down to
exercise appropriate diligence, because all of the consequences of their illegal take-downs are externalized onto the
author.

As an IEEE Senior Member, I'm deeply affronted by IEEE's conduct in this matter. My dues are apparently supporting
the suppression of research, which strikes me as a problelm. Within computer science, IEEE's behavior stands in
marked contrast to ACM and USENIX, both of which understand that they don't "own" works they do not pay for. This is
wrong. We have bowed to it for too long.

Jonathan Shapiro, Ph.D.