Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Why the Web Won't Be Nirvana

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 16:15:51 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: July 25, 2018 at 16:03:30 GMT+9
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Re: Why the Web Won't Be Nirvana

[Note:  This comment comes from friend David Reed.  DLH]

From: "dpreed () deepplum com" <dpreed () deepplum com>
Subject: RE: [Dewayne-Net] Why the Web Won't Be Nirvana
Date: July 24, 2018 at 12:31:09 PM EDT
To: dewayne () warpspeed com

My reaction (which you can share) is that he was hardly a 'thought leader', but he did have a 'schtick' that he
promulgated after he published his book, 'Silicon Snake Oil', which amounted to predicting the failure of the
Internet.

In 2010, he admitted his error: "Of my many mistakes, flubs, and howlers, few have been as public as my 1995 howler
... Now, whenever I think I know what's happening, I temper my thoughts: Might be wrong, Cliff ..."
https://boingboing.net/2010/02/26/curmudgeony-essay-on.html#comment-723356 "

Bob Metcalfe also is famous for predicting the same year, 1995, the complete collapse of the Internet two years
later. People are still saying that the "Internet is Broken" (even technical people, who don't really know how it
works, but think they do). He ate his hat shortly after his prediction failed.

Metcalfe, whom I have known since we were graduate students at MIT, is famous for whopper mispredictions like that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Metcalfe has some.

The more embarrassing one from Metcalfe is from 1993: that wireless networking could never sustain itself.
(https://books.google.com/books?id=qjsEAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA34&dq=x-terminal&as_pt=MAGAZINES&pg=PA48#v=onepage&q=x-terminal&f=false)
 He said that because his intuition said that radio signalling is slow and interference is awful. Readers presumably
didn't question that. Neither of those are actually true - we've scaled WiFi signalling rates up to 1.3 Gb/sec or
more (some access points have aggregate capacity of 1.75 Gb/s today, and 802.11ax will exceed that), and we radio
engineers knew that at the time... And interference is easily mitigated by cooperation at the MAC layer. (I point
this out because since I was working at Interval Research at the time, and this "wireless future" launched my
personal interest in scalability of wireless networking capacity, something I've been trying to teach people about
since then).

So why were these guys taken so seriously at the time?  Well, here's my view. They were celebrities aspiring to
become pundits (self-proclaimed experts). Neither of them were practicing engineers or systems architects, who had
better things to do - like building the "impossible" systems. As celebrities, they could appeal to the "intuitions"
of their audience, so they didn't have to think too hard to play to thelack of technical understanding they shared as
pundits with their audience.

Alan Kay invented the phrase - The best way to predict the future is to invent it. So if someone predicts either
success or failure of a technology, ask yourself if they are inventing it. Neither one of these guys were inventing
anything. Metcalfe's invention was more than a decade in the past at the time. Stoll was not an inventor.

WHY THE WEB WON'T BE NIRVANA
By CLIFFORD STOLL
Feb 26 1995
<https://www.newsweek.com/clifford-stoll-why-web-wont-be-nirvana-185306>