Interesting People mailing list archives

re Top Voting Machine Vendor Admits It Installed Remote-Access Software on Systems Sold to States

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 20:20:37 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joly MacFie <joly.nyc () gmail com>
Date: July 18, 2018 at 14:34:57 GMT+9
To: dave <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] re Top Voting Machine Vendor Admits It Installed Remote-Access Software on Systems Sold to States

Hi Dave,

Yesterday I streamed an event "Protecting New York' of which one panel was pretty much entirely devoted to election
security.
https://livestream.com/InternetSociety3/protectingny/videos/177812488
https://livestream.com/InternetSociety3/protectingny/videos/177818676

Something I learnt from it,thanks to NY Senator Liz Krueger (30 mins in in the first clip) , is that NY held off
upgrading to electronic machines til 2010, despite being mandated to do so  by the  Help America Vote Act of 2002 aka
HAVA, precisely because they considered them hackable. The compromise -- and according to Sen Krueger NY is the only
state that does this -- was to use machines that are not networked whatsoever, and include two distinct forms of vote
storage. One that is removed and used to tally votes, and another that is solely used for auditing, along with paper.

At 37 mins, she talks about how NY regulators were very much influenced by anecdotes about how first year college CS
students easily hacked Ohio's systems.

joly