Interesting People mailing list archives

Lee Amazon fulfillment centers come with a hefty price to taxpayers: tax breaks + food stamps funding to feed Amazon workers

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 13:04:29 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: DV Henkel-Wallace <gumby () henkel-wallace org>
Date: Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 8:00 AM
Subject: Re: [IP] Amazon fulfillment centers come with a hefty price to
taxpayers: tax breaks + food stamps funding to feed Amazon workers
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>

Though the article's general position of tax subsidies is correct, the
metric of "number of employees on food stamps" is not enlightening, and may
even be a positive sign.

If Amazon's full time employees are not earning enough to live on, that's a
problem.  But if Amazon (or Walmart or McDonald's) employs part-timers who
*want* part time work, it's great that we can help these folks.

Amazon's dreadful labor practices are well known, and though I can't
criticize the company for taking advantage of subsidies, the practice of
granting tax breaks is very very bad for society on many grounds.

But the food stamp metric, while it tugs at the heart strings, doesn't tell
us anything.