Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Los Angeles Is First in US to Install Subway Body Scanners

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 03:46:13 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mary Shaw <mary.shaw () gmail com>
Date: August 15, 2018 at 11:21:36 PM GMT+9
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Los Angeles Is First in US to Install Subway Body Scanners

Oh, great!  Suppose I'm a carpenter, work jobs around town, can't afford a car, use the subway to get to work.  So I
carry my power drill, nail gun, and other tools with me (no checked bags on subways!).

Or, more personally, I used to carry a medical unit involving battery power, electric leads, electrodes, ...  One day
at the airport TSA did an extra-careful inspection because they mistook it for a tazer.

I have friends who have taken cookware to their young relatives by airplane.  They take it carryon because of baggage
weight limits.  They report that TSA is actually familiar with this behavior.  Oh, probably including pressure
cookers.

So, are these machines good enough to select the actual dangerous items from the detectable ones, or will there be a
paralyzing rate of false positives?