Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Irma won't "wake up" climate change-denying Republicans. Their whole ideology is on the line.

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 12:10:06 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: September 13, 2017 at 11:16:56 AM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Irma won't "wake up" climate change-denying Republicans. Their whole ideology is on the line.

1. A just-published paper by eminent climatologist Michael Mann and colleagues
discusses this very topic -- the changes to extreme weather events that can
be attributed to climate change.

   Assessing climate change impacts on extreme weather events: the case for an alternative (Bayesian) approach
   http://www.meteo.psu.edu/holocene/public_html/Mann/articles/articles/MLOClimaticChange17.pdf

2. I'm a swiftwater rescue instructor.  My students, colleagues, and
friends are among those who put themselves in harm's way to save lives.
And there aren't nearly enough to deal with back-to-back (or simultaneous)
large-scale events like Harvey and Irma.  Yes, it's wonderful that others
have helped out (e.g., the "Cajun Navy") but they're not everywhere, they're
not trained or equipped, and some of them have paid a high price for
their selflessness and bravery.

Which is my roundabout way of saying that the bill is coming due, and
the price will be paid not only in dollars, but in human lives.

---rsk