Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Almost half of Republicans want war with North Korea, a new poll says. Is it the Trump Effect? - The Washington Post

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2017 23:00:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Michael Keller <michael.keller () gmail com>
Date: October 15, 2017 at 10:33:03 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Almost half of Republicans want war with North Korea, a new poll says. Is it the Trump Effect? -
The Washington Post

bloomberg has been covering the economic angle. full disclosure: i'm a reporter there although was not involved in
these stories

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-10/here-s-one-take-on-how-war-in-korea-would-impact-the-world-economy
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-26/a-korean-war-could-cut-pipeline-of-vital-technologies-to-the-world
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-20/in-shadow-of-red-line-companies-with-a-lot-to-lose-in-korea

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Day <jeanjour () comcast net>
Date: October 15, 2017 at 3:44:16 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <farber () gmail com>
The Washington Post

I don’t know about using this without his permission. It was Mike’s post on Facebook.  But he makes a good point
that should get wider coverage.

"I have come to the conclusion that nobody within Uber-distance of the White House has considered the economic
impact on the *US* of the destruction of South Korean high-tech manufacturing. Let's make a short list...

"Most of the LCD manufacturing capacity in the world
A huge fraction, maybe the majority, of Flash fab capacity
Large fraction of both DRAM and SRAM fab capacity
Significant fraction of ASICs & SOCs for Smartfones
Large fraction of all Smartfones & other mobile phones
World's largest shipyard (yes, that's hi-tech these days)

"Depending on the device, these generalizations can hit much, much harder in specific cases that we all know and
love.

"When you look at this list and ponder how many things and companies would take a massive blow to the head, and how
there has never been any mention made of this in the media, it sure makes me wonder whether anyone is looking at
the big picture."