Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Radical New In-Memory Computing Architecture Will Deliver 200X Speed Gain

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 21:00:29 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: October 28, 2017 at 8:45:05 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Radical New In-Memory Computing Architecture Will Deliver 200X Speed Gain

Dave:

The idea of computational memory has a long history. At TI, in 1981, engineers discussed doing it within VRAM ("video
RAM"), a type of dual ported memory whose contents are repeatedly transferred to shift registers to be output to a
video display. I also broached it to my MSEE advisor at Stanford in 1984 as a way to accelerate networking operations
(in particular, the processing of TCP packets), and was informed that I was not the only person who was interested in
the idea.

It's highly doubtful that any of this is novel or patentable.

--Brett Glass