Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Is New York's preternatural calm a sign of resilience or is terror the new normal? | US news | The Guardian

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 01:47:46 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: David S. H. Rosenthal <dshr () abitare org>
Date: Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 8:10 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Is New York's preternatural calm a sign of resilience
or is terror the new normal? | US news | The Guardian
To: <dave () farber net>

danah boyd said what needed to be said last September in "There was a
bomb on my block."

https://medium.com/@zephoria/there-was-a-bomb-on-my-block-6045e597ac2f

I live in Manhattan, in Chelsea, on 27th Street between 6th and 7th, the
same block in which the second IED was found. It was a surreal weekend,
but it is increasingly becoming depressing as the media moves from
providing information to stoking fear, the exact response that makes
these events so effective. I’m not afraid of bombs. I’m afraid of cars.
And I’m increasingly becoming afraid of American media.

My take at the time is here:

http://blog.dshr.org/2016/09/what-danah-boyd-said-personal.html

        David.