Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Is New York's preternatural calm a sign of resilience or is terror the new normal? | US news | The Guardian

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2017 18:55:43 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bill Bumgarner <bbum () mac com>
Date: November 4, 2017 at 1:35:09 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Is New York's preternatural calm a sign of resilience or is terror the new normal? | US news | The
Guardian

I can confirm resilience.

I was standing on the 125th street subway platform when the 2nd plane hit on 9/11.  I watched one tower fall before
getting back on the train to go back to CT.   In the weeks following, I had to pass through a line of well armed
military forces requiring two forms of ID and some proof of why I needed to go south of 14th street (office).

We— all of us New Yorkers— were of the same mindset.   We just wanted to get back to work, get our kids back to
school, go out to eat, go to clubs and generally get on with life.

New York is pretty remarkable that way.   The most “get out of my way, I have stuff to do” place I’ve ever lived.