Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Bill Perry Is Terrified. Why Aren't You?

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2017 17:51:43 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Thomas Leavitt <thomleavitt () gmail com>
Date: January 7, 2017 at 5:01:16 PM EST
To: jthorn () astro indiana edu
Cc: farber () gmail com
Subject: Fwd: [IP] Re Bill Perry Is Terrified. Why Aren't You?

Your comment highlights a rather terrifying aspect of the contemporary situation, but referenced issue seems more a
symptom than a cause.

My original question was "what triggered this sequencence of events" (including the one cited)? Has Russian behavior
changed to such a degree that efforts in this area are no longer feasible? Has American policy in this respect come
under control of a faction that is against continuing these efforts? Is this fallout from the situation in the
Ukraine? Why are the war drums suddenly being pounded so hard, when, facially, the actual strategic and tactical
balance remains overwhelmingly in our favor, at least from a pure "force projection capacity" standpoint?

Looking at it pragmatically, from a conventional warfare standpoint, no other country has anywhere near the number of
hardened combat veterans in active and recent service that the United States has (however costly acquiring that
expertise has been). Russia and China's military and political establishments must be aware of how much of a
disadvantage that alone creates, even discounting all other factors. "Green" combatants are at a huge disadvantage
vs. hardened veterans.

Why is our governing elite suddenly acting so threatened?  I consider myself a relatively informed citizen, but have
been unable to identify the triggering cause here, and that was the intent behind my somewhat plaintive complaint.

Thomas Leavitt