Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Do Women Want to be Oppressed?

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 06:22:19 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Pamela McCorduck <pamela () well com>
Date: Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 12:07 AM
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Do Women Want to be Oppressed?
To: <dave () farber net>

One of the great sports of 1970s feminism was examining the very grave and
ponderous interpretations of scientific “facts” to justify gender
discrimination scientifically. As I recall, scientific publications of the
1950s were particularly rich with such stuff, best since Victorian times. I
wish I had my hands on one of those iconoclastic books so I could cite it
properly.  Several existed, and they made for funny if discouraging reading
for anyone who believed science was disinterested.

Thus my skepticism about this hypothesis (how did that desire to be
oppressed skip me?).

But let’s suppose this is indeed disinterested science and not just another
fancy justification for the status quo. Herb Lin makes a reasonable
argument. Even if the hypothesis is plausible, do we want gender
discrimination to continue? Sadly, yes, plenty of men (and not a few women)
would like to maintain things as they are. That doesn’t make it
desirable--or just--to the rest of us.

Pamela McCorduck