Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Getting around paywalls ...

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 09:45:43 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan Tappan <dan.tappan () gmail com>
Date: April 25, 2017 at 8:06:11 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Getting around paywalls ...

I've been calling for a micro-payments system for reading newspaper articles for a long time. I'm all for supporting
journalism, and I have digital subscriptions to a number of publications, but asking people to pay on the order of
$200 a year to 1/2 dozen different publications is just not reasonable. Absolute $$$ aside, by the time you get to
that many subscriptions you're just reading the occasional article from each so the $$/article is way out of whack.

So I was excited to see the previous message about Blendle.com, and now this one about Inkle.com. I jumped on getting
a beta account on Blendle and immediately discovered a fatal flaw: what these sites seem to be trying to provide is a
digital aggregate magazine, a web site you can log into to find a curated set of articles from a variety of sources.

That's cool, but it's not the way I (nor, I suspect, most) read newspaper articles these days. Instead we find
articles that look interesting through posts on Facebook, Twitter, Feedly, click through, and hit a paywall (and it
doesn't help that when you're linking to articles though apps on an iPhone cookies are not shared across apps - so
even if you have a paid subscription odds are that you'll have to log in again to read the article)

So the illicit way to read an article behind a paywall takes about two steps: copy the link, open an incognito window
and go to the link.

Reading the article through Blendle seems to take more steps than that: find something that identifies the article,
open a link to Blendle, search through the publishers for the publication you want and then search articles until you
find the one you are looking for.

The only way that these are going succeed is if they can make reading an article as easy as clicking on a link and
immediately going to the article, with an accompanying debit from your micro-payments account. Maybe this could be
done with a plugin that automatically intercepts links to publications and turns them into links to the same article
on (e.g.)Blendle.
More likely it needs some cooperation from the publisher so they can recognize when someone has an account on a
micropayments system.

But my point is that unless using these systems is _easier_ than cheating people will end up cheating even if they
would rather pay. Or they just won't bother to read the articles which has the same effect as far as the publisher is
concerned.

A second order issue is that the prices on Blendle seem somewhat high, up to $0.50 to read an article. Micropayment
systems probably will be most successful when the individual costs feel trivial, or when the costs are hidden in a
monthly subscription fee. Excessive a-la-carte prices are likely to discourage use, and be self defeating.