Interesting People mailing list archives

Re clarification re: NYT and Bret Stephens

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 10:11:26 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker () gmail com>
Date: April 25, 2017 at 10:03:03 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip <ip () listbox com>
Cc: Dave Burstein <daveb () dslprime com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Clarification re: NYT and Bret Stephens

In particular, I'm not suggesting the Times should be hiring Stephens because of an obligation to give denialists
more space, much less create space for more reporting from the point of view of ISIS, his inference.
Rather, I'm saying that someone like Stephens should not be blacklisted because of his opinion on one subject -
climate - that probably won't be much if any of his coverage. Even if he's a nut on the subject.
I don't believe that a (probably badly mistaken) opinion about one subject shouldn't mean someone shouldn't be hired
to (mostly) write about other things.

Climate denial by an educated person is not as passive or as justifiable as a 'mistake'.  To claim that 97% of the
world's experts on a topic are wrong requires a very active, very willful, very distorted choice.  It is a choice
that runs counter to criteria of "intellectual depth" and "honesty", both of which were touted as his traits in the
Times' announcement of his appointment.

As for the view that merely having one problematic view doesn't negate all the other good ones he might have... the
logic template doesn't work if we apply it to other possible cases.  What if that one problematic view were
aggressive racism, or if he were an active and unrepentant sexual predator?  Murderer?  In other words, the specifics
of what the person is 'mistaken' about matter.

Lest anyone think that my examples are too extreme, note that climate denial walks the long-term path of killing all
of us.

d/

--
Dave Crocker