Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Question. Re Today is a remarkable day for the Internet!

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 16:09:01 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: October 4, 2016 at 3:58:12 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, "     'ip'" <ip () listbox com>
Cc: "'Karl Auerbach'" <karl () cavebear com>, "       David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re Question. Re Today is a remarkable day for the Internet!

The term "end-to-end" is confusing. For convenience I have a pointer to the Saltzer, Reed, and Clark paper at
http://rmf.vc/EndToEnd. The abstract is

This paper presents a design principle that helps guide placement of functions among the modules of a distributed
computer system. The principle, called the end-to-end argument, suggests that functions placed at low levels of a
system may be redundant or of little value when compared with the cost of providing them at that low level. Examples
discussed in the paper include bit error recovery, security using encryption, duplicate message suppression, recovery
from system crashes, and delivery acknowledgement. Low level mechanisms to support these functions are justified only
as performance enhancements.

As I read it, the key point is the lack of dependency upon intermediaries. As I wrote in
http://rmf.vc/PurposeVsDiscovery we have to discover what works. It is confusing because so much does work so we
attend to assume that they the applications we assumed were designed-in were actually discovered. The “intent” story
is classic hindsight reasoning. A good example is VoIP. Alon Cohen of VocalTec talks about how he discovered how well
VoIP turned out to work ; it worked far better than expected. What is confusing is that it worked as a byproduct of
the capacity created for the web.

The concept of a network implicitly assumes dependencies on intermediaries to assure packets get through with
promises such as low jitter. Mechanisms like the DNS and the IP address make us dependent upon intermediaries and
create the opportunity for boundaries. Rather than worrying who "owns" the Internet we should be working on
decentralizing it and moving beyond the heritage of networking as a service.