Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Question. Re Today is a remarkable day for the Internet!

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2016 08:27:18 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dave Burstein <daveb () dslprime com>
Date: October 2, 2016 at 5:00:13 AM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Question. Re Today is a remarkable day for the Internet!

​Dave - If the thread is too long, skip this since I already had a say. I wrote most of this before I saw you picked
up my other comment.​

​​

On Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 9:17 PM, Dave Farber <dave () farber net> wrote:
Can someone point to problems that giving control to non-US entities will solve?
​
Yes. Perlman is right that very few practical things will change. ICANN Chair Steve Crocker makes the same point.

​Before I get too many flames, let me say I support the ICANN transition. I titled my writeup ​Ted Cruz is a bleeping
idiot,​ http://bit.ly/2dxyZPz ​ ​Unfortunately, both sides treated this like a political campaign. We all know about
politicians and truth.​

The battle over ICANN was a symbolic fight between the Global North (led by the U.S.) and the Global South (BRICS and
more.) The "problem" the ICANN transition is meant to solve is the demand by the majority of countries in the world
to have a representative say in decisions about the Internet.

The Global South generally believes the system is rigged to protect things like high transit prices and unreasonable
patent royalties. Many of their issues are on target, although ICANN itself has almost nothing to do with them.
Despite the irrelevance, both sides choose ICANN and the ITU as the battleground.

For example, NTIA head Larry Strickling, the U.S. guy in charge, explained the problem to me, "Dave, do you want
Russia and China to run the Internet?" (We were at the WCIT and I had asked him why he was fighting so hard on issues
that were trivial.) The Indians, Brazilians, Africans, Chinese, and Russians also thought fairly trivial issues, like
ICANN, worth fighting for.

The vote at the WCIT was two to one against the U.S. and European control. So we said "It's our Internet" and walked
out. Strickling, a smart guy, realized the U.S. needed to make some concessions. The Global South is now about 2/3rds
of Internet users and growing rapidly. The Global North is close to saturation. The gap will widen.

China was ready to set up an alternate root to ICANN, according to ICANN CEO Fadi Chehade. As Columbia Professor Eli
Noam has suggested, this might not be a bad thing, so long as there is robust interconnection. Noam sees advantages
to having many Internets of different types. For example, Vint Cerf has said “If I could go back and put in public
key crypto, I probably would try.” http://bit.ly/2cJUGjt A company like Verizon could set up a separate system with
crypto, 128 bit addressing IP-V6 style, and a few other goodies like Bob Kahn's DOA. It could connect to the ICANN
system through a robust gateway, just as the United States and French telephone networks connect. Noam is right,
"splitting the Internet" could be harmless, except to the multi-billion dollar registry business and ICANN's bottom
line. (I don't see many practical purposes. The Chinese eventually decided it wasn't worth the trouble, especially
after Fadi promised them, "A seat at the table.")

Giving up nominal control of ICANN was a way to defuse the movement to change the system. In practice, the U.S. had
nearly never exercised that authority because the folks running ICANN were almost always in agreement with the U.S.
Most were from the U.S. and allies; some even had worked for what DC calls "three letter agencies." They will be
choosing their successors.

Russia and China are unlikely to control ICANN in my lifetime. We may also have set a useful precedent for a more
open process. But we didn't solve any "problem" that affects much on the Internet.

Dave Burstein

(Yes, I know we didn't actually walk out, just refused to accept the treaty. I saw U.S. Ambassador Terry Kramer on
the floor the next day with his tourist gifts.)

--
Editor, Fast Net News, 5GW News, Net Policy News and DSL Prime
Author with Jennie Bourne  DSL (Wiley) and Web Video: Making It Great, Getting It Noticed (Peachpit)