Interesting People mailing list archives

Amazon's new publisher: Make Millions from Selling Wikipedia in Print

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 10:38:05 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: March 20, 2010 9:40:35 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Amazon's new publisher: Make Millions from Selling Wikipedia in Print

Dave - this is amazing!  Nonsense, but amazing.

I just received in my email the recommendation of the following "book" entitled"VirtualGL: ..." which will cost me $53.00. Look carefully at the title and book description. The title and blurb description from Amazon seemed odd, but piqued curiosity. So I clicked through (carefully ensuring it *was* Amazon), and then clicked on the author link (actually listed as "editor") for Lambert M. Surhone. And found a zillion books, all with similar descriptions, bundling Wikipedia articles in loose clusters. (e.g. "Resistance in Lithuania during WWII: ...", "Psoriasis: ..."

Apparently algorithmic books on demand plus bot-spamming-SEOing Amazon's recommendation engine plus gullible people may generate revenue, or maybe it's just a joke. But it's interesting, until it gets really, really mundane. (will RBL's start blocking Amazon.com's emailer?)

(I wonder, in particular, if the copyright for publication in book form, which may possibly inhere to the original contributors of text was cleared - someone with experience about Wikipedia's licensing terms for online use might explore that as a matter of academic law, I don't remember granting book publishing rights to Wikipedia in any place I added substantial material in the past).

Amazon.com

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

As someone who has purchased or rated OpenGL(R) SuperBible: Comprehensive Tutorial and Reference (4th Edition) by Richard S. Wright or other books in the Graphics & Multimedia > OpenGL category, you might like to know that VirtualGL: Open Source, Unix, Linux, OpenGL, 3D Accelerator, Thin Client, VNC, Display List, Texture Mapping is now available. You can order yours for just $53.00 by following the link below. VirtualGL: Open Source, Unix, Linux, OpenGL, 3D Accelerator, Thin Client, VNC, Display List, Texture Mapping VirtualGL: Open Source, Unix, Linux, OpenGL, 3D Accelerator, Thin Client, VNC, Display List, Texture Mapping
Lambert M. Surhone
Price:     $53.00

Product Description
High Quality Content by WIKIPEDIA articles! VirtualGL is an open source program which redirects the 3D rendering commands from Unix and Linux OpenGL applications to 3D accelerator hardware in a dedicated server and displays the rendered output interactively to a thin client located elsewhere on the network.Normally, VNC and other thin client environments for Unix and Linux either do not support running OpenGL applications at all or force the OpenGL applications to be rendered without the benefit of OpenGL hardware acceleration. Remotely displaying 3D applications with hardware acceleration has traditionally required the use of "indirect rendering."