Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Internet security flaw exposes private data

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 15:00:19 -0500

From: "Abe Singer" <abe () oyvay nu>
To: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: January 16, 2010 12:32:56 PM EST
Subject: Re: [IP] Internet security flaw exposes private data

Dr. Farber,

For IP if you like...

From what I can tell in the article and a few others I googles, this
is not any sort of a new vulnerability, this was just the same old
man-in-the-middle "attack" that any tcp session (at the ip/tcp layer)
is vulnerable to.

The problem highlited in this case is the flawed assumption
that the Internet backbone and providers provide a trusted path.  I (and
others) have said for years that one cannot trust a network one does not
control. (Whether one can trust a network they *do* control is a different
discussion).

We use SSL for precisely that reason (sidestepping for the moment
usability/trust issues with PKI).

-- Abe

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Charley Kline" <csk () mail com>
Subject: Internet security flaw exposes private data

SAN FRANCISCO – A Georgia mother and her two daughters logged onto Facebook from mobile phones last weekend and
wound up in a startling place: strangers' accounts with full access to troves of private information.

The glitch — the result of a routing problem at the family's wireless carrier, AT&T — revealed a little known
security flaw with far reaching implications for everyone on the Internet, not just Facebook users.

The problem had nothing specific to do with Facebook. It is a more general problem.

See http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100116/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_facebook_at_t_glitch