Interesting People mailing list archives

Internet security flaw exposes private data

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 11:31:22 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Kevin T. Neely" <ktneely () astroturfgarden com>
Date: January 15, 2010 11:58:08 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] : Internet security flaw exposes private data

You know what is interesting? I have done this with gmail. I had a couple friends staying at my house in Florida in early 2008. I had comcast as my ISP. One morning after making coffee, I openend up my laptop, went to gmail, and got one of my friends' accounts. He had brought his own laptop, but I asked anyway "John, did you use my laptop to check your email?" He hadn't. Somehow, it took me to his account and I had full access. I could not reproduce later in the day, so I didn't do anything about it.

Dave Farber wrote:
>From: "Charley Kline" <csk () mail com>
>To: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
>Date: January 15, 2010 09:09:45 PM EST
>Subject: Internet security flaw exposes private data

SAN FRANCISCO – A Georgia mother and her two daughters logged onto Facebook from mobile phones last weekend and wound up in a startl ing place: strangers' accounts with full access to troves of priva te information.

The glitch — the result of a routing problem at the family's wirel ess carrier, AT&T — revealed a little known security flaw with far reaching implications for everyone on the Internet, not just Face book users.

The problem had nothing specific to do with Facebook. It is a more general problem.

See http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100116/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_facebook_at_t_glitch

Archives <https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/247/=now> <https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/rss/247/ > [Powered by Listbox] <http://www.listbox.com>