Interesting People mailing list archives

The balance of power in airport security screening

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 09:30:47 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: February 3, 2010 9:04:57 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: The balance of power in airport security screening

While I agree w/the original poster's note (keeping in mind the present-day UK is far beyond Orwell's thinking at the time) isn't DHS buying 450+ scanners following the crotchbombing attempt? That would suggest a similar "scan-or-walk" policy will be here in the US at some point, for that size of a purchase is too big to be "optional" for American travellers.

For me, don't mind security. What I do resent is the "faceless bureaucracy of the state" that seems to epitomize TSA. Comply-or- walk. Don't question. Perpetally wondering if anything you do or ask will land you on a watchlist you can't get off of until you die, and even then, maybe.

As to what to do?

(1) Reduce flying. I know I have. I pretty much figure it'll be a wasted day when planning my schedule, and then have some fudge- factor on the end if I need it. To wit -- what used to be a 2 hour shuttle from DC to NYC is a half-day-or-more affair since you never know what kind of security lines there will be when you get there or what will happen once you do get screened. Which brings me to ....

(2) Reduce exposure to chaos. I fly ONLY non-stop since 9/11. Why? From a 'homeland security' perspective you reduce the risk of having your flight delayed due to terminals being flushed and passengers rescreened because they found a tweezer in the mens room (circa 2002) or because some romantic putz wants one last peck from his girlfriend and violates security. Or, if you want to play it safe or as a capitalist.....

(3) Buy stock in Cisco and HP to capitalize on their telepresence services being used by folks fed up with this Homeland Hores--t done in the name of protecting the country.

-rf