Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Comcast's "Evil Bot" Scanning Project (Lauren Weinstein)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 19:05:16 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy () cable comcast com>
Date: October 12, 2009 18:58:32 EDT
To: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Cc: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>, Chris Yoo <csyoo () law upenn edu>, "Livingood, Jason" <Jason_Livingood () cable comcast com>, "Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy () cable comcast com> Subject: RE: [ NNSquad ] Re: Comcast's "Evil Bot" Scanning Project (Lauren Weinstein)

I dropped some parties from this email.

David Reed wrote:

>The point I was making is the *role of Comcast* with respect to customers' computers, law enforcement, etc.
>To argue that Comcast should (without opt-in from customers) begin tracking their traffic, making presumptive inferences from pattern matching, and then *interfere* with a users' use, argued on the basis of "theft" is a very interesting argument from a legal and societal point.
>Is it wrong? Perhaps after a debate we will see. Is it Comcast's proper role? Perhaps after a debate we will see.

This is a fair debate to have.

Here are some additional viewpoints I’ve collected today:

http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/247/2009/10/sort/time_rev/page/1/entry/2:99/20091012140749:24B6EB56-B75A-11DE-B6B8-944E25180BC3/

http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/247/2009/10/sort/time_rev/page/1/entry/0:99/20091012173554:36A13584-B777-11DE-B21E-A8639E369A9E/

These are recent posts to the IP list from Jonathan Zittrain and Steve Bellovin about Comcast botnet mitigation. Both posts seem to be very well thought out. Steve has really good advice about including an “easy … recourse in event of misclassification” and “regular reviews by an outside advisory board”.

http://threatpost.com/blogs/google-exec-calls-isps-get-tough-botnets-123

This is an interesting perspective from a Google security executive, Eric Davis. Eric made these comments not long before Comcast announced its security initiative.

http://cfp.mit.edu/events/oct08/presentations/Defending%20the%20host%20ddc-1.pdf

This is David Clark’s slide deck from October 2008 (MIT CFP meeting) on “Who will tame the Wild West?”

-- Rich