Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Comcast's "Evil Bot" Scanning Project (Lauren Weinstein)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 12:04:08 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Livingood, Jason" <Jason_Livingood () cable comcast com>
Date: October 12, 2009 11:55:58 EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>, Richard Bennett <richard () bennett com >, George Ou <george_ou () lanarchitect net>, Christopher Yoo <csyoo () law upenn edu >, Rich Woundy <Richard_Woundy () cable comcast com>, John Day <jeanjour () comcast net >, "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com> Subject: Re: [ NNSquad ] Re: Comcast's "Evil Bot" Scanning Project (Lauren Weinstein)

Dave -

I wanted to clarify a few things, as this thread seems to be heading off the rails just a tad. First off, this system does not use DPI devices, contrary to what some people in the thread have said. We’ve stated this in our FAQs and in the relevant Internet Draft document . If people wish to debate the merits and utility of DPI systems, th at’s fine with me, but just don’t bring this program into it.

From the introduction of that I-D:
        In evaluating potential solutions, most commercially available
systems were either proprietary and/or required inline-based Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) systems. However, Comcast and many other
       ISPs may desire to use a system based on open standards, non-
proprietary software, and which does not require the use of DPI.

Second, it seems to me entirely fair for David Reed and others to debate whether it is the role on an ISP to do something like this, to try to stop DDoS attacks, perform anti-spam filtering on their email domains, etc., provided that neither side of that debate allows it to devolve into personal attack and accusation.

I happen to obviously think that an ISP has a role here, and further than no other parties have been successful in stopping / reducing these problems. We are presenting the facts on our efforts to combat one of the greatest scourges of the Internet — universally re cognized to be so — and reasonable people are responding with apprec iation for what we are doing. We are confident enough in our decisi ons to move forward both with a technical trial, as well as openly p ublishing ideas in Internet Drafts, seeking comment through a well-e stablished open process, that facilitates constructive discussion. O ther parties (than ISPs) certainly have a role, and can also be effe ctive actors (such as search engines, which can ensure that a search result is not a malware site which would infect a user’s computer). This is a very large problem and no one actor will succeed alone; we need many players working simultaneously to do what each of them can in order to start to turn the tide here.

Lastly, I’m not convinced that law enforcement is at all able to ste p up to this task given the resources that would be necessary (to sa y nothing of the technical training and tools, which are in short-su pply), considering the earlier noted stat that on a country-by-count ry basis this would mean making contact with between 5% and 15% of a ll Internet users.

Regards
Jason