Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Constant Guard - Combating Bots

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 20:47:46 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Livingood, Jason" <Jason_Livingood () cable comcast com>
Date: October 11, 2009 20:37:32 EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>, ip <ip () v2 listbox com>, rsk () gsp org
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:    Constant Guard - Combating Bots

For IP if you like (or not, if the topic is getting stale).

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>

So I think an important (and as yet unanswered) question is: why didn't Comcast immediately address this critical problem, instead of allowing
it to get steadily worse for 6+ years?

We also made a number of anti-spam technology changes on our own email
platform, among other tactics. This moved us from what was probably #1 on the Senderbase volume list to somewhere around #8 to #10 or better recently,
with volume of about 20% of what it was in 2005 if my memory serves
correctly.

In 2005 we also joined the Messaging Anti-Abuse Working Group (MAAWG), see
http://www.maawg.org.  We continue to participate at MAAWG to a great
extent, we continue to invest in anti-abuse technology, and we continue to
grow the teams that focus on this challenge.

But just so it's clear that I'm not only bashing Comcast for this:
I could say (and have said) the same things about Verizon, Charter,
AT&T,
Roadrunner, and a host of others.

Many ISPs and other companies continue to work to combat the problem via
MAAWG and other industry groups.

Regards
Jason