Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Comcast's "Evil Bot" Scanning Project (Lauren Weinstein)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 18:55:40 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Livingood, Jason" <Jason_Livingood () cable comcast com>
Date: October 10, 2009 18:39:10 EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>, ip <ip () v2 listbox com>, dpreed () reed com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Comcast's "Evil Bot" Scanning Project (Lauren Weinstein)

I have a great deal of respect for David's achievements, his views and the fact that he and others may have concerns like these. However, I'd submit that they may not fully take into account the large (and growing) threat
that malware poses on the Internet (bot networks in particular).  Bot
networks are **massive** criminal enterprises used not just for spamming, but also for identity theft, financial theft, DDoS attacks, and many other not-so-friendly things. I can tell you ISPs and many other organizations are getting more and more intelligent about how these networks function, and
our customers expect us to do what we can to protect them.

But after they have been infected with a bot, why would you **not** want someone with this information to advise the user? It would be like I was your neighbor and knew that not only had your home been burglarized, but the
burglar still lived there in your basement unbeknownst to you, and was
renting out one of the rooms to whatever random criminal wanted to use your
home for a little while.

This is an extraordinarily serious threat, it is one that the average user
knows very little about, and it is a growing threat.

As for the method of the notification this is an area we have said we want to learn more about in the trial, and we do not claim is perfect (no method is, nor anything else for that matter). See the following Internet Draft for some discussion of options -- and I hasten to add that it is only on -03
revision and we still would like lots of feedback, comment and ideas:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-oreirdan-mody-bot-remediation-03.

I also would like to note that the draft on the general system is at
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-livingood-web-notification-00 and you are correct that we do not disclose precisely all methods by which we learn about bot networks. As John Levine pointed out, this would quite easily permit bot net controllers to subvert a system that is years in development.

Please see my other comments inline below.

Regards
Jason