Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: a review and explanation of the new rules - including several examples.Bloggers Must Give Full Disclosure- NYTimes.com

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 10:19:31 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Esther Dyson <edyson () edventure com>
Date: October 19, 2009 1:37:27 PM EDT
To: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Cc: amy () wohl com, dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: a review and explanation of the new rules - including several examples.Bloggers Must Give Full Disclosure- NYTimes.com

that is a very good point, and I will suggest it to the FTC (which I'm visiting today). You could also write to the SEC... and Sunlight Foundation.

Esther

On Oct 14, 2009, at 11:16 PM, Brett Glass wrote:

Esther Dyson writes:

HI Amy (and all)  -

I think disclosure is a good thing, even for consultants (those who publish, anyway). Why do your relationships (not the amount) need to be confidential? That is something I would certainly want to know as a reader.

Esther

All:

What about lobbyists? Currently, many lobbying groups that claim to be acting in the "public interest" actually take money, directly or indirectly, from corporations. For example, the lobbying group "Public Knowledge" (http://www.publicknowledge.org) accepts both money and free labor (in the form of paid interns) from Google, and has lobbied for things -- such as "network neutrality" regulation -- that would benefit Google. Another DC lobbying group, the "New America Foundation," receives Google money via its CEO, Eric Schmidt (though it reports it as a personal contribution) and has made Schmidt its chairman. Other lobbying groups who embrace Google's agenda, such as the group "Free Press," expunge the names of contributors from their published IRS Form 990 in an attempt to prevent the money trail from being followed.

All of these groups maintain blogs.

Shouldn't we know for whom supposed "public interest" groups might be working?

--Brett Glass

Esther Dyson
edyson () edventure com

632 Broadway, 10th floor