Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: A bunch of comments on Apple Adds Still More DRM to iPod Shuffle - The Value Chain Again

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:13:22 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "STEWART, WILLIAM C (BILL), ATTSI" <billstewart () att com>
Date: March 16, 2009 4:18:05 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re: A bunch of comments on Apple Adds Still More DRM to iPod Shuffle - The Value Chain Again

Apple doesn't _need_ to use DRM or even
Stupid Intellectual Property Tricks
to make money off of this;
merely having it be annoying to get non-default connectors
is good enough to get most people to buy headsets from Apple
if they mangle their originals - making enough margin
when people do buy from them does the job.

My current Nokia phone doesn't use either the standard
2.5mm cellphone jack or 3.5mm stereo headset jack,
but instead has some fancy many-pin Nokia jack
that requires you to use overpriced Nokia headsets,
or else use Bluetooth cellular headsets and ignore the MP3 feature.
(In fact I did buy an audio headset from a third party,
but it's really too annoying to use; at least Nokia's
no longer using their old fragile proprietary power connectors,
though they insist on changing the physical format
every few phone versions so you need to buy new chargers.)
Most of my candidate next phones use mini-USB charging.