Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: What does Tim Berner-Lee regret?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 08:53:22 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond" <ocl () gih com>
Date: March 16, 2009 7:09:37 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] What does Tim Berner-Lee regret?

Jean Armour Polly <mom () netmom com> said:
(Re: Tim Berners-Lee)

"Another regret was the way web addresses were constructed. In retrospect it would have made more sense to start with the most general elements such as countries or organizations -- for instance using ch/cern/info instead of info.cern.ch as at present, he said. "

Of course, this was the notation used in the UK pre-IP, using NRS notation on the JANET network. But since nobody ever listens to the voice of reason from her Majesty's Kingdom :-) , we had to swap the addresses over once we were connected to DNS directly rather than going through a gateway... sigh...

Olivier

--
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD
http://www.gih.com/ocl.html