Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Will on-line backup be evil, too?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:05:32 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Geoff Kuenning <geoff () cs hmc edu>
Date: March 27, 2009 12:46:05 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: notsp Re: Will on-line backup be evil, too?

It hammers on your upstream connection, at least during the initial
seeding stage. That got me wondering. Will Comcast and friends label
such as dangerous; and start deploying measures to sabotage it and its
competitors as they did with Peer-to-Peer?

In other news, a startup called onlive.com (disclosure: several of my
ex-students work there) announced a streaming gaming system that would
appear to be equally bandwidth-hungry.

This reminds me of the 80's, when people started making heavy use of
dialup modems.  That played havoc with the the phone companies'
statistical assumptions about how long phone calls lasted.  They tried
various ways of punishing customers who stayed online for long periods,
but eventually recognized that another approach was needed and deployed
technologies like ISDN and DSL.

In the long term, Comcast and everybody else, including our very vocal
Brett Glass, will be forced to reevaluate their hardware needs.  That
may lead to pricing changes, of course.
--
   Geoff Kuenning   geoff () cs hmc edu   http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/

Statistics don't bore people, people bore people.