Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Congress' reaction to AIG bonuses -- am I the only one concerned?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 20:45:14 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mark Blacknell <mb () blacknell net>
Date: March 19, 2009 6:31:50 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>, <ChrisSavage () dwt com>, <lauren () vortex com > Subject: Re: [IP] Congress' reaction to AIG bonuses -- am I the only one concerned?

Chris raises fair points in response to Lauren's concerns. Relevant to the first and second points, you can find a copy of the compensation agreement
here -
http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/documents/2009/03/aig-bonus-contracts.php?p
age=1

You'll see that they became effective Dec 1, 2007 (when I think it's
reasonable to say that management at AIG had a clue as to what was going
on), and that there's next to no "performance" component to it. It's simply
a schedule for large payments.  Not really the sort of arrangement most
people would understand for bonuses.

Finally, while I would understand Lauren's concern in another context, those that are targeted by this bill have profited handsomely by exploiting the
goodwill and trust of others.  I'll save my tears for someone else.

Cheers,

Mark
~
Mark Blacknell