Interesting People mailing list archives

Comcast files "recommended practices" draft RFC with IETF for DNS Redirection

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:03:00 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Livingood, Jason" <Jason_Livingood () cable comcast com>
Date: July 13, 2009 8:38:44 AM EDT

I very much agree that this thing that Comcast proposal would be an
utter disaster, particularly in that it would affect protocols that
are not supporting a human user typing into a web browser and reading
the responses on the screen.

As a minor point of clarification, this is seeming to be described by a few on the thread (DNS redirect) as something that Comcast is suggesting for the first time in the industry. In actuality, this is a widespread ISP and DNS ASP practice in place for many years around the world. What is different now is that we (Comcast) have decided to implement it **but** that we felt it was important to be 100% transparent about it, to make sure people knew we were doing it without a doubt, and to start a conversation at the IETF and in other parts of the Internet community about the practice. (And it is quite natural that an open debate might lead to criticism or even issues of
concern that might lead to changes in the manner that such services are
provided.)

Regards
Jason